21.7.10

Fam[ily]

Family. I come from wonderful family which consists of my parents, a brother, and of course there always had been a dog. My current dog is a mixed King Charles Cavalier/Poodle. The most adorable pup I can tell you that.

In my family also includes the extended relatives which are both sets of my grandparents among with many aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends of family.

As I mentioned, I am the only deaf person in the entire family clan on both sides (mom's and dad's). I grew up facing a lot challenges with communication field. According to my parents, in my younger years the relatives on my dad's side used to gather together to learn sign language. I have to say that my dad's side family is the most difficult to communicate with, because no relatives knows (or remembers) sign language. It never had bothered me when I was younger because younger kids just worry about playing games, having fun. It started to bother me as I went in my teenager years, I started dreading going to the holiday events. I depended on my parents and/or brother to talk with me or keep me entertained. The past 3 years had been really difficult enough that it upsets me to be there for a long period of time. Last Christmas, I was pondering why I wasn't good enough to be considered a part of the family if nobody was willing to put in the effort to communicate with me. Although, I am partly to blame as well since I don't put as much effort in having a conversation as well. My lack of motivation is solely on the fact that they don't know how to use sign language and that can be frustrating for me to brainstorm a communication method. I cannot read their minds, but I don't feel that my relatives brainstorms a way to communicate with me every holiday gathering like I do. I can lip read some of my relatives, but I'm never 100% excellent at it regardless of who I speak with.

It crushes my heart to this day how I don't have a close relationship (except one) with some relatives in my dad's side family, including my cousins. The only close relationship I hold is with my uncle who is also my godfather. In my high school years, I went to visit him every summer (he used to live 3 hours away), and developed a bond which concluded in talking often via computer. I do wish that I have a better close relationships with more of my aunts/uncles, especially my cousins because they all are VERY FUN people to be around, and I would love more time with them. I still LOVE my dad's side family very much regardless of the communication barrier because they are very unique & loving family. I know I can always count on them to be there for me, and they always make me feel loved. They do truly care about me.

My mom's side family, it was little easier with the communication. It was a small family (which only consists of 10 people) while my dad's family is large (~40 people). Some cousins learned sign language from childhood, and used it sometime through out my life. The problem is that when all of the cousins would hang out together, no body would "interpret" for me. That was the downside of them knowing sign language, they still didn't include me by not "interpreting". That problem made me feel like I was a pain in the ass to be present, and too difficult on them to simple translate for me. The other cousins did knew sign language, but never used it which I don't understand why not.

My parents + brother have been nothing but amazing to me. I could not ask for a better family. They have been there through it all with me through the up and downs of my life. I was never alone in my difficult challenges that I had to face in my life because I had family. Family is my STRONG backbone in my life. I will forever be grateful for them and their unconditional love that they always have for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment