21.5.12

The worst interview

On May 1st of this year, I had an interview for volunteering with the judicial system in the State of Connecticut. I have been actively seeking for a full time job in New London County area, but haven't been receiving any any job offers yet. I thought it would be good idea to volunteer for few reasons such as having something to do in my free time, network, and meet new people.

I sent an application to New London judicial system for volunteering opportunity. I got a voice mail on my cell phone from the volunteer coordinator wanting to meet for an interview, which I replied back by e-mail to discuss appointment times. We agreed on May 1st at 10am. Her office was located in the Probation building so it was weird for me to be back in the Probation department after my internship with Monroe County Probation in NY. I was hoping for a volunteering position with the Probation department because I am already familiar with Probation. I also enjoyed my internship with Monroe County Probation so much. I even applied to be a Probation Officer shortly after I moved to CT (of course, no callbacks).

On the morning of the interview, I just had a bad feeling in my guts about the interview. I didn't even want to go in the first place. I usually am very eager in going to interviews in hopes of landing a job offer. I arrived at Probation building in New London, CT. I went to the check-in desk and they had me to enter the restricted area to stand & wait for the volunteer coordinator whom I was meeting with (I really didn't mind sitting in the waiting room with other probationers).

Once the volunteer coordinator came down to grab me, we walked upstairs to her office. I was using the paper & pen method for communication (that's what I have been using on all interviews) so I had a paper with written message already ready to show her. I showed her the paper which started with the introduction of my name, told her that I am deaf and how I would like for us to write things down explaining that I WILL get overwhelmed from lip reading with all the new information. The lady looked at me with a big hesitance like it was such a hard task to write back and forth. She mentioned an interpreter. I said that it will take a while for one to show up at last minute notice (I don't think it even was possible to get one that last minute anyways which we would have to reschedule the interview which I did not want) and how I have gone without interpreters a few time at my internship with Monroe County Probation in NY.

She refused to write back to me and began to talk to me. I did my best to lip read her. She said that she was suppose to read questions off this paper that she had in her hands to me for me to answer but instead she gave me the paper itself to fill it out. It was two pages long with the common interview-type questions. I was so defeated in my self-esteem from the way she was treating me so I quickly scribbled the answers while thinking how bad I wanted to be out of there. I didn't give the the best answers because I didn't care anymore at that point. Meanwhile, she was on the phone clearly talking about me. I had no idea who she was speaking with. How did I know she was talking about me? I picked up the vibe from her facial expression which she often looked back and forth from me and looking down at her desk (nothing was there). I finished answering the questions and handed over the papers to her. She still spoke on the phone leaving me hanging there for approximately 5 minutes.

Eventually she got off the phone. She started to talk (again, refusing to write) to me about volunteering opportunities, explaining that there was only one left with the courts. She described the position which I didn't get a word of (like I clearly explained to her that I will be overwhelmed to lip read), I only caught the part that she said the position had included a fast paced and tense environment. I had to reply with only knowledge of that last piece of information. How do you do that? I was feeling so stressed. I had asked her a numerous time to repeat what she said by saying "What?". I kept writing all of my replies via paper. She would read it then talk back to me verbally.

I didn't get a word of everything she said about the position in the courts, only that it was fast paced and tense. She had concerns with my deafness that it wouldn't work. Pretty much to me she was literally saying that it wasn't possible for ME because I am deaf. She ended the interview saying that she will call the courts (I THINK?) to talk to them and see what the resolution can be. I kept trying to sell myself to her saying it IS possible for me. I explained how I have experienced the environment of being in courts from being a criminal justice major at RIT. I often attended trials at court house for court observations for SEVERAL classes. I repeated many times that I was able to do it but she kept that facial expression of uncertainty and hesitance. It just was too good to her to believe my own words that I would be able to do it.

I left the building feeling so angry with how she disrespected me by not writing back and forth as I asked. It was very stressful for me to try to grasp her words which I didn't at all. I was so disappointed because I knew leaving there that I would not hear back from them. This was perfect way for me to start networking with the judicial system as I had plans to go to law school in 2013. I even explained that to her about my plans to attend law school. I told her I wanted this.

After the interview, I had plans to go down to Mystic Aquarium to watch the first swim of a baby penguin that I spent the last 3 months watching it grow via web cam on their website. I had plenty time to get there to witness the first swim, but of course due to the nature of the interview - I was too depressed that I went straight home. I spend the rest of the morning feeling really down, tweeting "had the worst interview today. it's definitely the kind day i wish i wasn't deaf", and cried.

Nobody had the right to make me feel like it wasn't possible for me to do a position because of my deafness. It is irritating when people at job interviews ask me questions regarding my deafness because they AREN'T suppose to focus on my disability. They are suppose to focus on my ability to do the job. I am not going to let this incident to happen again anywhere else. It was first (and hopefully the only) bad interview I experienced in my life so it taught me what to do and how to handle that situation for further interviews. I was discriminated because she clearly felt that it wouldn't work for me to be in this position with the courts because of my deafness. The irony of this situation was that the volunteer coordinator lady who interviewed me was a different race from Caucasian which placed her in the minority group with me. I expected better from her, since she was in a minority group which I am sure she experienced discrimination or at least something regarding her race. A member of minority group had discriminated someone else in the minority group.

When I look for jobs or volunteering experiences, I always look for these kind places where there IS diversity. New London County Judicial system (and every court in America) definitely have diversity. My expectations of this place have been defeated. I still hope to get a job within the judicial system in the State of Connecticut so hopefully the RIGHT place will help me to achieve my dreams.

5 comments:

  1. It's much more easier to have an interpreter with you during a job interview. I understand that having an interpreter there (and having a "third person" there may seem strange, but it works way better than paper and a pen.) If you use the paper/pen method during an interview, it can affect the perspective of the employer towards you. They may assume that to communicate with you, it would have to be through paper and a pen. I think that interpreters can make a huge impact during job interviews. However, when you have the job itself, paper/pen or email communication would be sufficient because most workplaces do not have a permanent interpreter. They would be forced to find a way to communicate with you since you are an employee of the company.

    Related to your statement about minority groups - I know that people say most minorities would be able to emphasize with each other - it's not always necessarily true. Many minorities are very selfish with their own thoughts and culture. They have been through a lot where they sometimes may not generalize that ideology towards other minorities.

    Just keep on going -- and an opportunity will come up. When a door closes, another door opens. There will be a lot of doors - one of them is the right one. You just haven't found that door yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that it went so horribly! =( However, I do agree with Rachel. Having an interpreter there will get more of a flow in conversation and they will be able to get a better first impression of who you are.

    I had a bad interview once before, my first interview for my field actually! You already know I can speak for myself and lipread with my cochlear implant on. When I showed up, I explained to him that I just need to see his face when he talked to me, so I could understand him better. He acted completely thrown off and instead of giving me a proper interview, he just focused so much things that could be an issue with my deafness. I was living in the dorms without a car at the time, so I had to walk all the way across campus trying so hard not to cry until I was safe in my own room. It was a learning experience though. Since then, I've learned how to advocate for myself in future interviews and push any deaf related issues aside.

    It turned out that he also favored hiring males over females as well. My year was all females and he picked some dude from a different year. Pathetic, right?

    Anyway, there are plenty more opportunities out there that are most likely better for you! Just keep it up and it will work out =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel - it doesn't change the fact that she was discriminated with or without pen and paper or even if an interpreter was present or not. The fact remains, she WAS discriminated period. The incident took place and she was treated this way. If I were her, I would've sue them.

    You're making it sounds as if a good quality interpreter is easy to get. The problem is the high quality interpreters aren't always readily available for us. In fact, they are extremely hard to get, lest a good quality one at that. You don't want an unqualified and half-assed interpreter who would show up and interpret half of dialogues incorrectly, which could very much affect the interview and impact the perspective of an employer who's doing the hiring. The number of high quality ASL interpreters are very few and far between.

    I also disagree with the statement that "many minorities are very selfish with their own thoughts and culture." There's something very wrong with that statement, which is at best an ignorance. Yes, every minorities have their own issues to deal with, but to say that "many are very selfish" is flawed and generalization. You could make the same argument with this statement "many majorities are very selfish with their own thoughts and culture..."

    Why not just acknowledge what she had gone through and the fact that discrimination took place at her interview instead of sugarcoating it as "minorities being selfish with their own culture" with such negative annotations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kuusu,

      I know that this whole experience does not change the fact that she was discriminated against. I have been discriminated against many times as well due to my deafness. However, there are many different approaches to a job interview. I merely was just mentioning the other approaches, that's all. I was not criticizing Kelly and how she addressed this. She is a very intelligent woman and I had the pleasure of working with her when we both attended RIT.

      You obviously inferred wrong -- I did not imply that it is easy to get an extremely skilled interpreter. It is very difficult being an interpreter nowadays. I was just saying that having an interpreter present may help the situation in some way. I did not say that Kelly HAD to have an interpreter there; I was just mentioning about the efficiency of having an interpreter there. That's all. You truly need to give more credit towards the interpreters (especially those who truly care about the language.)

      And if you read my part about the minorities, if you read back on the history of the different minorities we have today and in the past; you will notice the struggles that would lead us to having a certain idealogy about themselves and others. We are all human beings - we will want to protect our culture and community first before aiding others. I understand that you believe the statement "many are very selfish" is flawed and generalized - but if you notice, the word "selfish" can be used in many different ways. You obviously have a different interpretation of the word, which is fine. And for your statement about the majorities -- I understand, but at the same time, most people tend to focus on the minorities, not the majorities. That's why they're called the majorities. I am sure that the majorities have their own thoughts and culture; but we do not spend so much time dwelling on their facts.

      I do acknowledge Kelly and her efforts. She is one of the few who actually make the effort to go out there and find a job. Some people do not care enough to actually seek out for a job and improve their well-being. If you look at the end of my comment, I gave her positive encouragement. Next time, please read carefully. And for the future, I know that Kelly will succeed no matter what she decides to do. I will only say that about certain people.

      Delete
  4. An advice... keep the voicemail and emails and any other correspondence means that you may have had with this employer as an evidence. It may be very useful when you sue them. FYI

    ReplyDelete