1.12.10

OMG! There's deaf people out there?

Hope all of you had a good Thanksgiving. I had a very good break going to CT to see the boyfriend. I celebrated my first holiday away from the family. It was difficult but it turned out to be a really nice time. We also celebrated our first year of our relationship - the best year ever in my lifetime.

I'm glad that I got the chance to go to CT to see the area that my boyfriend just moved to (he got a new job there). The town was so much similar to Rochester, it really weirded me out. Only difference was obviously the deaf community. I cannot tell you how many laughs I had in CT. Some people sure got their slap-in-their-face moments.

The very first full day I was in CT, I was bored with the boyfriend working 7am-4pm so I decided to explore the area. The apartment was right off this long road full of many stores. I stopped at Walgreen's to purchase last minute card for Adam for our 1 year (November 20th!). I brought it up to the cash register, and had looked down in my wallet to get the cash out only to look up to the dude looking irritated. I just looked and did a little smile (with no teeth showing, that kind smile). He, then said "Hello, are you deaf?!". Finally that moment came for me when someone said that! Usually I would have blew off at him but I just glanced at him for a moment before I said "Yeah". He responded again, "Seriously?" with a dead serious look, in which I replied AGAIN, "Yeah". He looked at me for literally a full minute before he proceed to run the register with my purchases. Yeah dude, there are deaf people out there (GASP). I walked out of the store laughing. I wonder if that dude would ever use that statement in the future.

In CT, there were people staring every day every where. That's the usual. But this slap-in-your-face incident occurred at Wal Mart had me rolling the floor laughing. Adam and I had stood in middle of aisle discussing our dinner plans. A man apparently was staring at us while he was walking past us only to walk into another lady's cart. Boo-yah, karma for staring. Thanks for the laugh, sir.

It was a long time since I left Rochester into worlds with less awareness of the deafness. It was amazing how I didn't let most of things bother me as the usual. I only recall getting irritated with people staring which I would just drop the conversation and take my boyfriend to a new location with more privacy. I'm beginning to think that I've got laid back with my deafness and maybe having more confident with who I am. That's something for me to analyze now.

That's it for tonight, folks. Maybe more funny moments coming for all of those future trips back to CT.

1 comment:

  1. lol what a funny stories! The only people I allow to staring at me are cute babies or young little kids, less awkward for me. Ofc understand some people are like Oh my Gosh look what they are doing with their hands!? Uhu?! Most of time i accept it and got used to it over time. Impt ignore and spread the awareness about Deafness! :-)
    Glad u had good laughs out there, more to come!
    Ox A

    ReplyDelete